English Language Garden Tours are ideal for members of garden clubs / societies, professionals and independent travellers who wish to practise their English while exploring some of the most celebrated gardens and landscapes in the United Kingdom.
Each of the three programmes in 2017 combines seminars and classes with full-day and afternoon garden visiting.
The Tour Leader, ‘Garden Guru’ Michaeljon Ashworth, is a garden historian, fine art and architectural historian, author and specialist in Italian influences on British gardens.
The programmes allow for shopping for books, antiques, country clothes and gifts, walks in the country, theatre visits and concert performances.
Bed, breakfast and evening meals are provided by friendly hosts within walking distance of Moor Cottage. (Hotel accommodation can be arranged if preferred).
Come on an English Garden Tour and you will…
- Practise and extend your knowledge of the English language
- Enjoy a special week in the company of a small international group
- Experience memorable garden visits guided by experts
- Receive a course dossier – an illustrated handbook, souvenir and reference guide
- Take advantage of the optional evening social programme which includes theatre, musical and culinary experiences
- Shop for books, antiques, garden gadgets and seeds etc
- Be the guest of a welcoming home stay host who may share an interest in gardening
- Be confident knowing Manchester Language School has organised successful garden tours since 1995 for amateur enthusiasts, professional horticulturists and landscape designers.
SUNDAY 4 JUNE TO SUNDAY 11 JUNE 2017 Now running for it’s 21ST season! This week explores how the English garden-making tradition embraces revolutions in design and makes the classic contemporary. Design Revolutionaries is the theme of the new RHS Chatsworth show. The first to be held in an historic park and garden where ‘Capability’ … Continue reading RHS CHATSWORTH ‘DESIGN REVOLUTIONARIES’ (EGT1)
Sunday 2 July to Sunday 9 July 2017 NEW FOR 2017 Professionals and pleasure gardeners use a rich and specialist vocabulary. This course helps use this language of the garden formally and conversationally Every ELGT tour is, of course, ‘English for Gardeners’ but this programme offers practical seminars to help those unfamiliar or unsure with the language of the … Continue reading ENGLISH FOR GARDENERS (EGT2)
SUNDAY 6 AUGUST TO SUNDAY 13 AUGUST 2017 NEW FOR 2017 In 2017 our journey following the career of ‘Capability’ Brown examines his mature works. We also look at his influence on every aspect of landscape design up to the present day. English gardening in the 18th century produced Brown’s vision of the smooth landscape park … Continue reading THE ENGLISH LANDSCAPE GARDEN. ‘CAPABILITY’ BROWN’S POSTERITY (EGT3)
Read comments by students from around the world