English Language Garden Tours are ideal for members of garden clubs / societies, professionals and independent travellers who wish to practise their English while exploring some of the most celebrated gardens and landscapes in the United Kingdom.
Each of the three programmes in 2018 combines seminars and classes with full-day and afternoon garden visiting.
The Tour Leader, ‘Garden Guru’ Michaeljon Ashworth, is a garden historian, fine art and architectural historian, author and specialist in Italian influences on British gardens.
The programmes allow for shopping for books, antiques, country clothes and gifts, walks in the country, theatre visits and concert performances.
Bed, breakfast and evening meals are provided by friendly hosts within walking distance of Moor Cottage. (Hotel accommodation can be arranged if preferred).
Come on an English Garden Tour and you will…
- Practise and extend your knowledge of the English language
- Enjoy a special week in the company of a small international group
- Experience memorable garden visits guided by experts
- Receive a course dossier – an illustrated handbook, souvenir and reference guide
- Take advantage of the optional evening social programme which includes theatre, musical and culinary experiences
- Shop for books, antiques, garden gadgets and seeds etc
- Be the guest of a welcoming home stay host who may share an interest in gardening
- Be confident knowing Manchester Language School has organised successful garden tours since 1995 for amateur enthusiasts, professional horticulturists and landscape designers.
THURSDAY 19 APRIL TO WEDNESDAY 25 APRIL 2018 Now running for it’s 13 season! A taste of magical Cornwall. The valleys and islands of the Cornish peninsula contain some of the finest plantsman gardens in Europe. Tresco Abbey, in the Isles of Scilly, is world famous for its sub-tropical botanical garden. The Lost Gardens of Heligan and … Continue reading THE SEA GARDENS OF CORNWALL (EGT1)
SUNDAY 3 JUNE TO SUNDAY 19 JUNE 2018 This week explores how the English garden-making tradition embraces revolutions in design and makes the classic contemporary. In addition to the RHS Chatsworth show we will also look at the Art Garden designed by Sarah Price (of Olympic Park, London fame), for the Whitworth Art Gallery, in … Continue reading RHS CHATSWORTH ‘DESIGN REVOLUTIONARIES’ (EGT2)
Sunday 29 July to Sunday 5 August 2018 NEW FOR 2018 Professionals and pleasure gardeners use a rich and specialist vocabulary. This course helps use this language of the garden formally and conversationally Every ELGT tour is, of course, ‘English for Gardeners’ but this programme offers practical seminars to help those unfamiliar or unsure with the language … Continue reading ENGLISH FOR GARDENERS (EGT3)
Read comments by students from around the world